Free Family Coupon

BLOG: My IVF Diary

My Bilateral Salpingectomy

By Infertile Myrtle on Jul 23, 2014

When I first found out that I might have to get my fallopian tubes removed, I cried really hard.  It was so sudden and so shocking to me.  I could not believe I had to lose body parts just so I could have a baby.  I got 3 different doctor’s opinions and they all agreed that removing the hydrosalpinges (fluid-filled fallopian tubes) would give me a better chance with IVF.   I could try IVF with the tubes in place but the toxic fluid from the tubes can kill any embryos we transfer back into my uterus.  There was no way I’d risk that so I read more and more about it until I was convinced it was the only way to go.

I was scared but I think I was more excited by the time the day of surgery came.  This was one big step towards our goal! I couldn’t wait for it to be over. My OB and my RE both attended my laparoscopic procedure.  I was told not to eat or drink 8 hours before the surgery.  I wasn’t sure why since this was my first surgery ever but I later learned that it was to prevent me from vomiting and choking during the procedure.  It seems some people don’t follow the no eating/drinking instructions before surgery with sometimes fatal results. 

They put me under general anesthesia and made incisions through my belly button and below my bikini line.  Usually, they make at least 3 to 4 incisions but I was lucky to end up with just 2 total.  I remember shivering when I came to.  Surgical floors are really cold, it was really like being in a fridge.  My lovely nurse, Fran gave me apple juice and a muffin.  I was so hungry I thought it was delicious! She said they wanted me to pee before I got discharged.  Apparently, general anesthesia can sometimes screw with the bladder that some people find it difficult to urinate right after surgery.  No such problems for me. Lucky!

I stayed home from work for the next few days just recuperating.  I probably could’ve gone to work on the 3rd day but lucky for me it was a holiday week so I was able to just stay home and take it easy. I did have a hard time sleeping because I tend to sleep on my side but I forced myself to just lay on my back. It wasn’t that bad.   All in all, I am healing really well.  I am glad to be rid of the tubes that were turning my uterus into a toxic wasteland.  Now all that’s left is to wait. Next stop: Stims!

Recently on The Mommy Guide

© 2013
Reproduction of any portion of this website only at the express permission of TheMommyGuide, Inc.
The information provided on TheMommyGuide is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Share your MOMents!
Drag and Drop your photo here or browse from: